Detergent is for your clothes, not your mouth

You know I am sure all of those who read this column have heard at least one person in your lifetime say watch your mouth or it will be washed out with soap.

Well, I never actually have seen this happen, but it was a familiar line used by mothers and probably grandmothers around the world at one time in history.

I doubt soap would taste good and apparently it could also harm you. I don’t know anyone personally who grew up and faced this punishment but thank goodness it is not used anymore.

It looks as though what might have seemed harmless back in the 1960’s could have caused some harm if some of the soap had been swallowed.

There could probably be some testing done to prove that point valid or not, but unfortunately this same kind of thing has turned harmful and sometimes fatal today.

Instead of using soap these days, teens have decided it would be a good idea to attempt to eat the pods used as laundry detergent. What in the world are these kids thinking? I guess they probably said that about our generation at one time or another as well, but this kind of stunt can really kill someone.

Apparently, some teens decided to try and eat a pod that’s meant to clean your clothes and not your mouth. These pods, while somewhat colorful, have been designed to clean deep down stains and don’t belong anywhere near a person’s mouth.

A pod usually consists of chemicals such as ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and polymers, substances meant to only be placed in the washer and not for consumption at any time.

Some of the teens apparently have said they knew better but popped a pod in their mouths anyway to see what would happen. That’s not just crazy, but could cost you your life. If they knew better, then why do it? Why would you want to do something that could have deadly results?

Once again, I am hearing the peanut gallery and they are saying you did things when you were younger and then you said later you knew better. Okay, I agree one hundred thousand percent with that statement. Sometimes, you do or say things and you know better, but hopefully they are not things that could be as deadly as this stunt.

Not only teens have been affected by this unfortunate incident,but also toddlers. The main difference here is that toddlers cannot read the warnings. It is unfortunate that a few toddlers have reportedly died from ingesting the detergent in the pods, but at least the companies continue to do all they can to stop it from happening.

While they cannot necessarily stop teens from being teens, they can offer all the warnings possible to stop this from possibly happening again. Apparently, this all started out at a joke on the internet that has ended in tragedy for some folks. While these kids think that they are bulletproof, one time ingesting the poisons could actually lead to death.

We all have asked ourselves at one time or another how did we make it through our own childhoods without something happening to us.  Well, that’s a tough one to answer, but it is always important to be as safe as possible.

While it might have been okay at one time in the world to wash your mouth out with soap, don’t ever put detergents in your mouth. Detergents are for washing clothes and are not for your mouth.