Former HPD officer's wife arrested in connection with drug case
More details surface: second arrest has been confirmed in a recent drug distribution case involving a former Hampton Police Department officer.
The Hampton Police Department confirmed the recent arrest of Linda Ashley Singleton, 29, of 10 Holly Street East, Hampton, to be in conjunction with the arrest of her husband, former HPD officer Danny Singleton, by SLED agents on July 25.
Singleton was arrested the same day as her husband and booked into the Hampton County Detention Center on two counts of distribute, sell, manufacture or possess with intent to distribute drugs near a school and with manufacture, distribute or possess drugs in schedule I,B, C, LSD and schedule II cocaine.
According to HPD Assistant Chief Jake Sullivan, former officer Singleton and his wife, Linda, were allegedly discovered to be involved with the sale/manufacture of drugs in April after sources separately alerted both HPD Narcotic Division detectives and Sullivan to the disturbing revelation that officer was allegedly involved in the sale of drugs. After source information was deemed credible, Sullivan and Chief of Police Perry McAlhaney instructed HPD detectives to launch a full investigation into the Singletons.
As part of the investigation, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division agents were notified and both agencies worked closely together to arrest the couple, with SLED leading the investigation.
Sullivan stated Singleton’s time on duty was reduced beginning in April after allegations of illicit activity surfaced and entered the initial stage of investigation. He added that during the days when Singleton was on duty, he was closely monitored by fellow officers to protect the safety of the community.
“We hate that it happened but it did,” said Sullivan. “Nobody’s happy about it and we understand it could possibly put a bad taste in everyone’s mouth for police, but we wanted to be transparent and to protect the community.”
Weekly Crime Beat
The following individuals have recently been arrested and booked into the Hampton County Detention Center:
- Darrien Earl Brown was arrested July 26 by the Estill Police Department and charged with two counts of trespassing after notice and with malicious injury to animals or personal property.
- Zavan Dishawn Johnson, July 25 by the EPD and charged with trespassing and a warrant affidavit for threatening an officer.
- Charles Allen Tuten Jr, July 25 by the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office and held on a bench warrant for assault and battery.
- Connie Marie Frazier, July 26 by the Hampton Police Department and held on a bench warrant for possession of stolen goods.
- Eleanor Jean Holstein Lee, July 27 by the State Highway Patrol and charged with DUI.
- Franklin Lavalle Scott, July 27 by the Yemassee Police Department and charged with unlawful carry of pistol, driving without a license and with speeding more than 10 but less than 15 mph over the limit.
- Wade Carnell Sanders, July 27 by the HCSO and charged with possession of 28 grams or less of marijuana or 10 grams or less of hash, speeding more than 25 mph over the limit and with unlawful to advertise for sale, manufacture, possess or sell drugs.
- Megan Marie Stone, July 28 by the YPD and held on a bench warrant for driving under a suspended license.
- Dwayne Warner, July 27 by the HCSO and held on a warrant affidavit for unlawful carry of a firearm.
- Cleveland Leroy Young, July 27 by YPD and driving under suspension.
- Joseph Lee Bryant, July 29 by the HPD and charged with loitering in and about a railroad station.
- Nathan Aiken Devore, July 31 by HCSO and charged with domestic violence.
- Kenneth Leroy Davis, July 31 by the HCSO and held on a warrant for failure to pay family court.
- Richard Ryan Johnson, July 31 by the St. Hwy Patrol and charged with driving under suspension, DUI, open container of beer or wine in motor vehicle and with manufacture or possess schedule IV drugs with intent.
- Mariah Deshae Boles was arrested July 12 by the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office and held on a bench warrant for failure to pay.
- James Curtis Carter, July 11 by the HCSO and charged with failure to maintain proof of insurance in motor vehicle and for a bench warrant for assault and battery.
- Jacob Griffin, July 11 by the HCSO and held on a bench warrant for failure to pay.
- Ricky Martin, July 11 by the HCSO and charged with driving under suspension.
- Timothy Bruce Freeman, July 12 by the HCSO and charged with three counts of financial transaction card fraud.
- Evan Trevon Garvin, July 12 by the Hampton Police Department and charged with possession of 28 grams or less of marijuana or 10 grams or less of hash.
- Rashawna Perry, July 12 by the HCSO and held for Beaufort County.
- Teresa Dee Warden, July 12 by the HCSO and charged with financial transaction card fraud.
- Cornelius Zachery, July 12 by the Estill Police Department and charged with driving under suspension.
- Charlotte Teal Bragg, July 13 by the HCSO and charged with speeding more than 10 but less than 15 mph over the limit, uninsured motor vehicle fee violation and with driving under suspension.
- Hector Rafel Hernandez, July 14 by the Yemassee Police Department and charged with driving a vehicle at a greater speed than reasonable under conditions.
- Willie Albert Bennett Jr., July 17 by the HCSO and charged with malicious injury to animals or personal property and with domestic violence.
- Ashley Michelle Freeman-Henninger, July 17 by the HCSO and charged with cruelty to children (torture, deprivation).