Hampton District One Teachers, Support Persons of Year
District One teachers attended a training exercise in anticipation of the upcoming school year; Teachers and Support Persons of the Year announced.
Following a district training exercise at the North District Middle School on Aug. 14, district officials announced the 2017-18 Support Persons and Teachers of the Year for each school, as well the 2018-19 District One Teacher of the Year.
The full-day training exercise allowed district teachers an opportunity to listen to several speakers and break into smaller groups to work on more specific material in preparation of the first day of school Thursday.
District Teacher of the Year
Tamra M. Bishop, of Brunson Elementary School, received the district’s highest honor and was named the 2018-19 Hampton County District One Teacher of the Year.
Tamra and husband Randy, live in Brunson with their two daughters, where they are members of Brunson Baptist Church. She has been employed within District One for the past 35 years. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education in 1985 from USC-Aiken and a Master of Education in Early Childhood Education from USC, in 1990.
Bishop began her career at Fennell Elementary in 1985 and taught second grade there for the next 16 years. In 2001, Bishop transferred to Brunson Elementary and taught fourth grade for two years. The remainder of her time teaching has been in first and second grade classrooms; she teaches Math, Science, and Social Studies.
2017-18 Teachers of the Year
The 2017-18 Hampton District One Teachers of the Year (in no particular order) are: Ben Hazel Primary School, Sharon McQuire; Brunson Elementary School, Tamra Bishop; Fennell Elementary School, Saidell Moore; Hampton Elementary School, Erin Long; North District Middle School, John Wright; Varnville Elementary School, Shellie Ackerman; Wade Hampton High School, Gangadhar Padigela.
2017-18 Support Persons of the Year
The 2017-18 Support Persons of the Year (in no particular order) are: Ben Hazel Primary School, Betty Davis; Brunson Elementary School, Terry Hiers; Fennell Elementary School, Eleanor Murray; Hampton Elementary School, Shirley Walker; Varnville Elementary School, James Brown; North District Middle School, Carolyn Shands; Wade Hampton High School, Jessica Mixson.
In other recent District One meeting news:
- Superintendent Dr. Ronald Wilcox announced district bus drivers, custodians and cafeteria workers will receive $.50 per hour raise.
- Approved Step Raises for all teachers who have 25-years or more within the district.
- Accepted the resignation of Synetria Singleton, Media Specialist at WHHS.
- Accepted recommendations to hire Myriah Hanna as an Assistant Cross Country Coach for WHHS; Vickie Sigman as CATE Health Occupations teacher at WHHS; Tyria Orr as Parapro for WHHS; Seth Owens as Long-term Sub at WHHS; Eva Griffin Holmes as a Parapro at HES; Freddie Grant as a custodian at VES; Willie Lewis as a Naval Science ROTC Instructor at WHHS and David Horne as a part-time School Nurse for the district.
- Agreed to accept a per diem maximum for staff members of $39 per day.